Friday, June 04, 2010

Dusting off the old blog, and my goals for 23 Things



(Flickr photo courtesy of wotthe7734)

It's strange to be blogging at Blogger after having spent the last few months immersed in a slightly different blogging environment. I'm glad to have a reason to do so, and I'm looking forward to working through the 23 Things along with my coworkers.

As a relatively brand-new librarian, digital native, and Internet addict, I spend a lot of time using Web 2.0 on a daily basis. I've used it for school, work and socializing. I have existing accounts on Google Docs, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, Delicious, Goodreads, LibraryThing, last.fm, 43Things, Reddit, Kaboodle, etc. etc.

That sounds like a lot, but it's not really. I only use a few of those sites on any kind of regular basis, and I tend to spend most of my time reading rather than posting or commenting on other folks' content. I get a lot out of reading, but the whole point of Web 2.0 is that everyone is empowered to contribute. And I certainly don't spend much time thinking about the larger implications of what I'm doing.

I'm hoping that this project will provide the much-needed kick in the pants I need to create content, reflect on the services I already use, and explore services I don't use or have never heard of.

Why Blogger and not Wordpress? Since this blog was already set up but woefully underpopulated, it just made sense to add more content to it. Also, I think it's good to be comfortable with as many platforms and systems as one can be - even though Blogger and Wordpress are very similar, I'd like to know both of them inside and out, if only just for kicks!

This is going to be fun. I can't wait to see what my coworkers have to say about it.

No comments: